How to replace the LCD Hinges on the HP Pavilion DV9000 Series
Broken LCD hinges are somewhat of a common problem for the HP Pavilion DV9000 series of laptops. Many users have experienced this issue, which makes the laptop screen difficult to keep in place. The good news is that replacing the LCD hinges is not as difficult as one might expect, and those with a little repair experience should be able to replace the hinges themselves. Before starting, use a parts locator tool
to ensure you have a replacement part that is compatible with your specific model, and then follow the steps below.
1. For safety, shut down the laptop, remove the laptop’s battery
, and disconnect all cables, including the power cable.
2. Turn the laptop over and remove the six screws located in the battery compartment.
3. Turn the laptop over and open the screen as far as possible. Remove the bezel above the keyboard
, carefully, as it is attached by a ribbon cable underneath. Remove the ribbon cable and set the bezel aside.
4. Remove the 5 rubber seals around the display bezel, and the screws underneath each seal. You can then gently pry the display bezel and remove it.
5. Disconnect the backlight cable at the lower right of the screen. Remove three screws from each hinge on either side at the bottom of the screen. Tilt the LCD screen forward until you can access the video cable. Remove the tape and disconnect the video cable.
6. Remove the two screws on either side of the screen, which connects it to the hinge brackets, and remove the screen.
7. Remove the three screws below each hinge, which secure the hinge to the laptop chassis. Remove the hinge.
8. Put the replacement hinge in place and secure the three screws you just removed. Reverse the above instructions to reassemble the laptop.
Once the laptop is reassembled, test that the new hinge or hinges are working properly, and that all buttons above the keyboard are functioning. If everything is working properly, you have completed your repair